Sunday, August 19, 2012

History-excitement but not genealogy

Sara at the Palo Alto Battlefield National Historic Park
August 2012

So I had been wanting to visit some battlefields ever since I moved to Texas. I used to live on the East Coast, and there are TONS of battlefields there. Not so many in Texas, though.

A coworker and I were in the Rio Grande Valley for work and driving back to our hotel saw one of the brown historic signs. I was able to convince him to turn off, and we ended up at the Palo Alto Battlefield National Historic Park, the site of the first battle of the US-Mexican War.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on the viewpoint), it was so hot that we forwent hiking the trails and did not take a gander of the site from the overlook. Nor did we visit the sister site of Resaca de la Palma. This means that I will have to go back, right?

Palo Alto Battlefield
August 2012
Taken by Sara Gredler

No comments: