Sunday, August 19, 2012

By the Numbers

I've been seeing several posts of the last few days regarding the number of ancestors we potentially have up to the 10th generation, and how many we have actually uncovered.


GenerationNumberFound
Parents22
Grandparents44
Great grandparents88
2nd great grandparents1616
3rd great grandparents3229
4th great grandparents6453
5th great grandparents12867
6th great grandparents25670
7th great grandparents51283
Total1022322 (31.5%)

This uses my current genealogy database, but I am pretty sure that it is not ancestors that I am waiting to complete data entry on, but rather collateral relatives.  I am surprised at the percentage: quite a lot of Dad's family is "old New England" and those are the lines that can be traced the furthest. The greatest degree of ancestry that I can trace are seven individuals that are my 19th-great grandparents, born in the 14th century. I haven't looked at those lines in awhile, so I haven't studied them and sourced them to the same extent.

I have my "walls," of course. My MAHAN family in Pennsylvania immigrated in 1819 from northern Ireland. I'm working on figuring out if/how my RICHARDSON family in western New York is related to any of the other New England Richardson families. I've got some western Pennsylvania coal miners that left few records and are difficult line to trace.

Two of my 3rd-great grandparents I actually have some sort of name for, but no data on them. The death record of my 2nd-great grandfather Frank Xaver Gredler gives the names of his parents as Frank Gredler and [--?--] Prutoz. So those names are not included in the numbers. I have had little luck and even less experience trying to get records from Austria, where Frank Xaver Gredler was born.

At least I know how I will be keeping busy!

No comments: