Sunday, June 10, 2012

Writing up your genealogical argument...and the Jamboree

At this point, all I am doing to prep for the next Richardson post on the blog is setting up all the documentation that I have pulled together.  Some analysis is included, and some of the documents are rather straightforward.  Right now I am just working on, essentially, bullet points.

BUT! It certainly makes you get all your ducks in a row.  Some of my citations I have had in my genealogical software forever, which makes it really easy to drag them into the word processing document I am writing up.  Some documentation has been in my possession since I started my genealogical journey, and I have never written the source citation for them, and the data they contain has never been entered into my database.  With some data I assumed things that I then needed to double-check, and I learned something new.  (For example, a Leyden, New York comes up in Wikipedia search, but does not come up using Rootsweb's Town and County database.)

I have spent today working on these posts and watching live web casts of sessions at the Southern California Genealogical Jamboree.  I am so lucky that I got to view some of these programs, and for those that were not live streamed, I can view some of the syllabi via the Jamboree iPhone app.  I wish more had been streamed, but I will take what I can get.  Though apparently an 8:30 am session is early no matter the timezone: I was super mad at myself for missing Mr. Bittner's Complex Evidence talk this morning!

< smacks hand >

Though I will say that the soundtrack for Snow White and the Huntsman composed by James Newton Howard has been great blog-post writing music.

(c) Sara Gredler, 2012

No comments: